AD REVENUE SHARING TERMS
WEBTOON™ Ad Revenue Sharing Program Terms of Service
Last Updated: June 27, 2023.
THESE WEBTOON™ AD REVENUE SHARING PROGRAM TERMS OF SERVICE ("TERMS") GOVERN YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE WEBTOON™ AD REVENUE SHARING PROGRAM. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY AS THEY CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS, REMEDIES AND OBLIGATIONS.
The Webtoon Ad Revenue Sharing Program (the "Program") is operated by NAVER WEBTOON Ltd. (including its affiliates hereinafter collectively referred to as “WEBTOON,” “us” or “we”).
If you are using the Services on behalf of someone else (such as another person or entity), you represent that you have the authority to do so bind that person or entity to these Terms, and the words “you” or “your” in these Terms includes such other person or entity.
1. Changes to the Terms.
2. General Description of Program.
The Program provides the possibility of a participatory revenue stream to creators who (i) become a Member (defined below) of the Program in accordance with these Terms, and (ii) thereafter, elect to allow the placement of advertising in association with series owned by such creators and published on the Service. Specifically, upon applying for participation in the Program and electing to allow for the placement of such advertising, the participating creators ("Members") may receive a portion of the Net Ad Revenue (defined below) generated by WEBTOON from such advertising, as set forth in these Terms.
Only those creators who become Members of the Program in accordance with these Terms and whose series is approved by WEBTOON for Ad Display, defined below, will be entitled to share in the Net Ad Revenue.
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT MEMBERS WILL RECEIVE NET AD REVENUE AS A RESULT OF THEIR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM.
3. Membership in the Program.
- a. Participation Requirements. To be eligible to become a Member and participate in the Program, you must (i) have one or more series in service on your WEBTOON account, (ii) be older than (A) 18 years of age, or (B) of legal age of majority, and have the capacity to form a binding contract under the laws of the state or country in which you reside and from which you access and/or use the Program, and (iii) agree to these Terms and the rest of the Agreement.
- b. Age Requirement. In furtherance of the foregoing, you represent to us that you are at least 18 years of age or of the legal age of majority and have the capacity to form a binding contract under the laws of the state or country in which you reside and from which you access and/or use the Services. We may terminate your participation in the Program if it comes to our attention that you are under 18 years old and/or not of legal age of majority or if you lack the capacity to form a binding contract under the laws of the country in which you reside or from which you access and/or use the Services.
- c. Application and Approval. In order to participate in the Program, you must apply and receive WEBTOON’s written approval. WEBTOON reserves the right to refuse or limit your participation in or access to the Program at any time in WEBTOON’s sole discretion.
- d. Participation does not guarantee Ad Display/Net Ad Revenue. Approval by WEBTOON of your participation in the Program does not guarantee that you will receive any Ad Display and/or Net Ad Revenue. For the minimum requirements for Ad Display, please refer to Section 5 below.
- e. Business Entity Participation; Indemnification. If you are applying to participate in the Program on behalf of a business or entity, you represent and warrant that you have the full legal authority to bind the business or entity to the Agreement and these Terms and further agree to indemnify and hold WEBTOON, together with their affiliates and subsidiaries, and each of their respective officers, directors, owners, partners, agents, and employees, harmless from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, judgments, suits, actions, and/or costs and expenses, including, without limitation, attorneys’ fees and costs, arising from or related to use of the Service by such business or entity, violation of the Agreement and/or these Terms by such business or entity, and/or participation in the Program by such business or entity.
4. Opting Out or Removal from the Program; Reapplying to the Program.
You may opt out of the Program at any time. If you decide to opt-out of the Program or are removed from the Program by WEBTOON, you may be eligible to rejoin the Program once you have (i) reapplied to WEBTOON to become a Member of the Program, (ii) been approved by WEBTOON, in its sole discretion, and (iii) satisfied any conditions then-required by WEBTOON, provided, however, that, except as otherwise determined by WEBTOON in its sole discretion, in no event will you be allowed to participate in the Program for two (2) months following the date upon which you opted-out or were removed from the Program.
5. Ad Display Application and Requirements.
- a. Definition and Description of Ad Display. For purposes of these Terms, "Ad Display" means the placement of promotional messages, including Viewer Ads and Reward Ads (as described below), on some or all of the inventory of your series for the purpose of publicizing a third-party advertiser’s products or services. Such Ad Display may consist of scripts, text, graphics, audio and/or video or any combination thereof, and may direct a user to an external link (e.g., a landing page).
b. Application for Ad Display; Requirements for Ad Display. After joining the Program, you may apply for Ad Display for each series that you own and is exhibited on the Service, provided that each such designated series satisfies all the requirements below:
- i. Requirements for Viewer Ads: (1) Over 40,000 Global Monthly Page Views; AND (2) Over 1,000 Total Subscribers. The calculations for the Global Monthly Page Views and Total Subscribers are based on the last day of the previous month.
- ii. Requirements for Rewards Ads: (1) You must maintain Viewer Ads on your series; AND (2) Over 200,000 Global Monthly Page Views.
- c. WEBTOON Review of Ad Display Request. Once you have been approved to join the Program and placed a request for Ad Display on one or more of your series, WEBTOON will review your request, including, without limitation, the suitability of the series for Ad Display. Note that this review may take several weeks. WEBTOON reserves the right to approve or reject any requested Ad Display in its sole discretion. If your request is rejected due to content-related issues, you may reapply after revising your content in accordance with the Community Policy and Uploading Guidelines or as otherwise requested by WEBTOON; the revision, however, does not guarantee WEBTOON’s approval of your Ad Display request. You can check the review status of your application in the ”AD SHARING” tab on your dashboard. In addition, WEBTOON may, in its discretion, send you an individual email notification should your request be rejected.
- d. Approval of Ad Display Request; Approved Series. Once WEBTOON approves your series for Ad Display ("Approved Series"), we may embed advertising in the Approved Series. The type of the Ad Display, the location for placement of such Ad Display within your Approved Series, as well as the duration of Ad Display shall be determined by WEBTOON in its sole discretion.
- e. Turning off Ad Display. If you do not wish to exhibit any Ad Display in your Approved Series, you may turn off Ad Display on your series and/or opt out of the Program entirely, which you can do at any time. WEBTOON may also, in its sole discretion, turn off Ad Display on any Approved Series. The actual advertisers and the content of each advertisement constituting any Ad Display will be automatically determined by WEBTOON’s ad platforms (e.g. Google or Facebook) through their respective systems and without input or direction from WEBTOON unless the advertisement is placed as the result of a direct sale by WEBTOON. WEBTOON can decide on the type of the Ad Display (e.g., a link, video ad, or pop-up) and the location within the Approved Series. Once Ad-Display is turned off, you will cease to accrue any Net Ad Revenue as of the date of your cancellation, but you may remain a Member of the Program. You may reapply immediately for Ad Display after cancellation; however, you will need to receive WEBTOON’s written approval prior to activating Ad Display again.
- f. Rewards Ad Pre-Approval. If you meet the eligibility requirements for Rewards Ads set forth above, you can apply to place Reward Ads on your series. WEBTOON reserves the right to refuse or limit your access to the Program at WEBTOON's sole discretion. Prior to publishing a Reward Ads Episode, you will submit the episode to us. Our Brand Safety team will review the episode to ensure that it meets our Community Policy and Uploading Guidelines and other applicable policies set by us.
6. Net Ad Revenue; Payment.
- a. Description of Net Ad Revenue. For purposes hereof, "Net Ad Revenue" means that amount equal to the gross amount actually received by WEBTOON from the third-party advertiser related to the Ad Display on your Approved Series less all relevant operational costs and expenses of WEBTOON, including, without limitation, fees paid to third parties. You will only be entitled to receive Net Ad Revenue generated from Ad Display on your Approved Series. All other revenue generated from advertising inventories of the Service not associated with your Approved Series belongs to WEBTOON.
- b. Ad Revenue Sharing Account. Upon acceptance into the Program, WEBTOON will establish an Ad Revenue Sharing Account ("Account") and related AD SHARING Tab for you. Your portion of Net Ad Revenue, if any, will be posted to your Account on a monthly basis, and updated in the AD SHARING Tab, generally on the 21st day of each month. You may not receive an individual email notification indicating that you have received payment of any Net Ad Revenue or that your Account has been updated.
- c. Percentage of Net Ad Revenue Sharing. Subject to these Terms, WEBTOON will share fifty percent (50%) of the Net Ad Revenue associated with an Approved Series with the applicable Member who uploaded the Approved Series (even where there are multiple creators of the Approved Series).
- d. No Guarantees. We do not guarantee how much, or whether, you will be paid any Net Ad Revenue.
e. Right to Refuse Payment. You will not be entitled to any Net Ad Revenue in your Account if WEBTOON suspects or determines in its sole discretion that the Approved Series or your use of the Service violates the Agreement and/or the Terms, or any applicable laws or regulations. Such violations may include, without limitation, the following:
- i. Your Approved Series or any of your content is in violation of the Community Policy and Uploading Guidelines;
- ii. Third parties claim rights regarding the Approved Series and/or any of your content, including, without limitation, copyright claims;
- iii. Your membership in the Program is suspended or cancelled; or
- iv. The Ad Display on the Approved Series has been suspended by WEBTOON.
- f. Payment Conditions; Minimum Balance Requirement. You are only entitled to payment of Net Ad Revenue if the balance in your Account meets the minimum threshold amount of USD $100, and monthly payments are released only in USD $100 increments. For example, if the balance in your Account is USD $250, your next payment will be for USD $200, and USD $50 will remain in your balance until the amount reaches the minimum threshold of USD $100 again.
- g. Payment Schedule. Your Account balance will update monthly, generally on the 21st day of each month (for the prior month’s revenue), and be displayed on the AD SHARING Tab. You may not receive a separate email notification regarding payment updates. Provided you are in compliance with the Agreement and these Terms, and your current balance in your Account meets the minimum threshold amount of USD $100, you will receive payment no later than the 15th day of the following month, provided, however, that WEBTOON reserves the right to delay payment in the event we suspect you have violated the Agreement and/or these Terms.
h. Payment Example:
- i. You have a pre-existing previous balance of USD $20. If you earn USD $70 of Net Ad Revenue during the month of June, that amount will generally appear on your dashboard on July 21st. Your total balance would be USD $90 (previous balance of USD $20 + your June Net Ad Revenue share of USD $70). However, no payment would be made out to you, as your balance would be below the minimum threshold amount of USD $100. The balance of USD $90 would carry over to the following month.
- ii. If you earn USD $110 during the month of June, your total balance would be USD $130 (previous balance of USD $20 + your June Net Ad Revenue share of USD $110). We would pay you USD $100 for the month of July. Your Account will have a remaining balance of USD $30, which would carry over to the following month.
- i. Payment Requirements. In order to receive payment, you must register with and maintain a valid Patreon ID or PayPal ID, and submit all complete and accurate payment information in the AD SHARING Tab on your dashboard. WEBTOON is not responsible for any payment error, including any unpaid Net Ad Revenue amount, if such error is a result of incorrect Patreon or PayPal account information.
- j. Taxes. You are solely responsible for the payment of all taxes (if any) associated with your participation in the Program, including your receipt of any Net Ad Revenue, as well as the preparation and timely filing of all documentation required by taxing authorities having jurisdiction over you and/or your activities. WEBTOON may withhold from any amounts payable under this Program such Federal, state and local taxes as may be required to be withheld pursuant to any applicable law or regulation. All payments to you from WEBTOON, whether through Patreon/PayPal or otherwise, in relation to the Program will be treated as inclusive of tax (if applicable) and will not be adjusted.
- k. Payment at Time of Program Opt-Out or Account Deletion: If you opt-out of your membership in the Ad Revenue Sharing Program and/or delete your Account, and there is a balance of USD $10 or more in your Account, WEBTOON will pay you such amount in excess of USD $10. Any balance reflected in your Account below the applicable threshold of USD $10 will not be paid out.
7. Other Requirements.
You represent and warrant that (I) you have full power and authority to enter into the Agreement and these Terms; (II) you are the owner of, or are legally authorized to act on behalf of the owner of, all series/content uploaded by you onto the Service and for which you seek Ad Display; (III) you are the technical and editorial decision maker in relation to and have full control over to all content on which you seek Ad Display; (IV) WEBTOON has never previously terminated or otherwise disabled an Ad Revenue Sharing Account created for by you for any reason; (V) entering into the Agreement and/or these Terms, becoming a Member of the Program and/or the embedding of Ad Display on your series will not violate any agreement you have with a third party or any third-party rights; and (VI) all of the information provided by you to WEBTOON is true, correct and current.
- a. Legal Right to Publish Approved Series. Your series is not eligible for Ad Display if you do not own and/or have the legal right to publish the Approved Series through the Services. DO NOT APPLY FOR AD DISPLAY WITH RESPECT TO ANY SERIES WHICH YOU DO NOT OWN OR HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO PUBLISH THROUGH THE SERVICES. You cannot apply for Ad Display using another creator’s original work or derivative, modified or edited works based on such other creator’s work unless you have received written approval from the copyright owner. WEBTOON has no obligation to release any creator’s contact information. Even if you have received the copyright owner’s permission in writing to publish the subject content (which you agree to provide to WEBTOON upon request by WEBTOON), WEBTOON may, in its sole discretion, reject Ad Display related to such content, cancel your participation in the Program, or withhold or refuse to distribute any Net Ad Revenue in the event any person or entity raises any copyright infringement or other claims related to the subject content. You agree that you will comply with all applicable laws, including, without limitation, all copyright laws, in connection with your use of the Services and participation in the Program.
- b. Third-Party Advertising Availability. All Ad Display is subject to the availability of third-party advertising in WEBTOON’s Ad Display inventory. Accordingly, there is no guarantee that even if you are accepted to the Program and your request for Ad Display is approved, that Ad Display will be available for your Approved Series.
- c. Multiple Creators; Distribution of Net Ad Revenue. If two or more creators have worked on an Approved Series, the creators who uploaded the Approved Series, hereby agree to distribute to the other creators ("Other Creators") the portion of Net Ad Revenue, if any, to which they are entitled in accordance with applicable law and any agreement between you and the Other Creators. WEBTOON hereby disclaims any and all responsibility for payment to the Other Creators. You are solely responsible for any violation of copyright or other laws by the Other Creators. You and the Other Creators shall be jointly and severally liable for any and all matters related to the Approved Series, including, without limitation, any copyright infringement.
8. Usage Restrictions.
Webtoon may periodically check whether your content or your use of the Service violates the Agreement and/or these Terms. Below is a non-exclusive list of possible causes for restricting or terminating your use of the Service and/or Participation in the Program.
a. Prohibited Actions. The following actions are prohibited under any circumstances:
- i. Continuously and repeatedly reading and/or liking episodes or series, whether manually or using tools such as macro programs;
- ii. Altering or modifying information collected by or provided to WEBTOON for operating the Service and/or the Program;
- iii. Failing to comply with the Agreement and/or these Terms;
- iv. Otherwise adversely affecting the operation of the Service and/or the Program by any illegal or harmful means; and/or
- v. Invalid Clicks, as defined and discussed below.
b. Invalid Clicks and Actions which Induce Them. Clicks on any Ad Display are assumed to be based on the interest of visitors to the Service. Repeated clicks and “clickbait” phrases created by macro programs or individual users are considered invalid clicks ("Invalid Clicks"). WEBTOON strictly prohibits generating or inducing, and you may not generate or induce, Invalid Clicks by any means whatsoever, including, without limitation, as follows:
- i. Continuously and repeatedly clicking Ad Displays;
- ii. Incorporating phrases, figures, images, etc. in your content which induce visitors to click Ad Displays, such as 'Click this ad', 'Please help', 'Click the link', etc.;
- iii. Using email, messenger, text messaging, etc. to send messages requesting clicks; and/or
- iv. Using robots, automated click and exposure-generating tools, automatic web browsing, click exchange programs, or any other means to artificially generate clicks.
- c. No Transferring Accounts. You may not, and agree not to, share, transfer, sell or resell your Account.
d. Inappropriate Content. You may not, and agree not to, publish content which violates the Agreement and/or the Terms. WEBTOON may periodically review your content for compliance with the Agreement and the Terms and in the event WEBTOON suspects or determines that any of your content, including any Approved Series, is in violation of the Agreement and/or the Terms, your Account and/or access to the Service and/or the Program may be suspended or terminated, as determined by WEBTOON in its sole discretion.
Our standards for content can be found in the Community Policy and Uploading Guidelines, available at the following link: https://webtoon.com/en/terms.
- e. Marking Series Mature. You must mark your series as "Mature" if it contains any mature subject matter or explicit content, provided, however, that all content must meet the Community Policy and Uploading Guidelines, whether or not your series is marked as "Mature".
- f. Copyright Violation. If we determine that you violate copyright law or otherwise infringe on the rights of any third party, your content will be removed by WEBTOON, your use of the Service and your participation in the Program will be suspended or terminated immediately, and you will forfeit any Net Ad Revenue payment you may have earned.
- g. Malicious Action Against Other Users. You agree not to take any malicious, abusive, threatening or demeaning action against other users of the Service and the WEBTOON community. By way of example only, 'malicious action' might include destructive criticism, cursing, stalking, impersonation, or invasion of privacy in any form or by any method. In the event WEBTOON suspects or determines in its sole discretion that you have engaged in any such malicious action, WEBTOON reserves the right to terminate your participation in the Program, suspend or terminate your Account, and terminate your right to use the Service.
- a. Prohibited Actions. The following actions are prohibited under any circumstances:
9. Consequences of Violation.
- a. Termination. In the event WEBTOON suspects or determines that you have violated the Agreement and/or these Terms, you will be notified by e-mail. The e-mail may include a description of restrictions that will apply to your participation in the Program and/or Ad Display, as determined by WEBTOON in its sole discretion. Without limiting WEBTOON’s other rights hereunder or in the Agreement, if WEBTOON determines you violated the Agreement and/or these Terms more than once or if the nature of your violation is deemed by WEBTOON to be egregious, WEBTOON may terminate your participation in the Program, terminate any Ad Display in any Approved Series, and/or terminate your right to use the Service.
- b. Restrictions on Ad Display. In the event WEBTOON suspects or determines in its sole discretion that you have committed a prohibited act, including, without limitation, Invalid Clicks, and/or engaged in actions which induce such prohibited acts, and/or your Approved Series violates the Agreement and/or the Terms, WEBTOON may remove any Ad Display in any of your content for two (2) or more months. WEBTOON’s right to remove your Ad Display as a result of your engagement in prohibited acts is in addition to the other rights of WEBTOON, including, without limitation, to terminate your participation in the Program and terminate your Account. If your Ad Display is removed by WEBTOON based on your commission of any acts prohibited under the Agreement and/or Terms, you will not be entitled to receive any Net Ad Revenue accrued in your Account as of the date of termination. You will not be entitled to any Net Ad Revenue accrued during the cycle in which the date of termination occurs.
c. Program Account Suspension and Termination.
- i. In the event WEBTOON suspects or determines that any of your content violates the Agreement and/or the Terms or that your content adversely affects the operation of the Service, as determined by WEBTOON in its sole discretion, WEBTOON may suspend or permanently terminate your participation in the Program and/or terminate your Account.
- ii. Upon termination of participation in the Program, your then current Account balance will be automatically forfeited and any Ad Display related to any of your content, including any Approved Series, will be immediately removed.
- iii. In the event your Account is suspended (as opposed to terminated), you may apply to rejoin the Program at any time following two (2) months from the date of suspension. Please note that all of your existing records including records related to Ad Display, Net Ad Revenue, and payment will be deleted and cannot be restored if your Account is suspended or terminated.
iv. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event that we identify any occurrence of any of the following cases, your participation in the Program and your Account and Ad Display for all of your content, including all Approved Series, will be terminated immediately, and you will not be entitled to payment of any Net Ad Revenue owing to you.
- Cases where you violate copyright law or illegally use someone else’s name or identity;
- Cases where you impersonate or attempt to impersonate WEBTOON;
- Cases where you use bugs or automated programs to artificially generate clicks; and/or
- Cases where you harm other users and/or the operation of the Service
10. Cancelling Participation in the Ad Revenue Sharing Program.
- a. You may turn-off Ad Display for any of your content, including any Approved Series, at any time. You may also permanently opt-out of the Ad Revenue Sharing Program at any time. In the event you turn-off your Ad Display or opt out of the Program, you will not be entitled to payment of any balance in your Account accruing after the date you turn-off Ad Display and/or opt-out of the Program. However, any balance in your Account above US$10 as of the time you opt out of the Program ("Closing Account Balance") will be paid out in the next payment period. If you turn-off Ad Display but remain as a Member of the Program, the US$100 minimum threshold for payment will continue to apply. Please note that you need to maintain your valid Patreon ID or PayPal ID to receive the payment of your Closing Account Balance at the time of your cancellation or opt-out.
- b. If you voluntarily opt out of the Ad Revenue Sharing Program, you may apply to rejoin at any time after two (2) months from the date of your election to opt-out. However, be advised that if you opt-out, all existing records related to your activity in the Service and the Program will be completely deleted and cannot be restored even if you rejoin.
11. Representations and Warranties.
You represent and warrant that (i) you have full power and authority to enter into the Agreement and these Terms; (ii) you are the owner of, or are legally authorized to act on behalf of the owner of, all series/content uploaded by you onto the Service and for which you seek Ad Display; (iii) you are the technical and editorial decision-maker in relation to and have full control over to all content on which you seek Ad Display; (iv) WEBTOON has never previously terminated or otherwise disabled an Ad Revenue Sharing Account created for by you for any reason; (v) entering into the Agreement and/or these Terms, becoming a Member of the Program and/or the embedding of Ad Display on your series will not violate any agreement you have with a third party or any third-party rights; and (vi) all of the information provided by you to WEBTOON is true, correct and current.
12. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER.
OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY SET OUT IN THESE TERMS, WEBTOON MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR OTHER PROMISES ABOUT THE SERVICES, THE PROGRAM AND/OR AD DISPLAY. FURTHERMORE, WEBTOON OFFERS NO GUARANTEE THAT ANY OF YOUR CONTENT WILL RECEIVE AD DISPLAY, EVEN IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE PROGRAM AND REQUEST AD DISPLAY, OR YOUR REQUESTED SERIES FOR AD DISPLAY IS APPROVED BY WEBTOON. ADDITIONALLY, WEBTOON MAKES NO COMMITMENTS ABOUT THE FUNCTIONALITY AND/OR CONTENT WITHIN THE PROGRAM AND/OR ANY AD DISPLAY, OR THE PROFITABILITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, OR ABILITY TO MEET YOUR NEEDS AND/OR EXPECTATIONS OF THE SERVICE, THE PROGRAM AND/OR AD DISPLAY.
13. Limitations of Liability
NOTHING IN THE AGREEMENT OR THESE TERMS SHALL EXCLUDE OR LIMIT WEBTOON’S LIABILITY FOR LOSSES WHICH MAY NOT BE LAWFULLY EXCLUDED OR LIMITED BY APPLICABLE LAW. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF IMPLIED TERMS, OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, ONLY THE LIMITATIONS WHICH ARE LAWFUL IN YOUR JURISDICTION WILL APPLY TO YOU AND WEBTOON’s LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
15. Independent Contractor
16. Miscellaneous Provisions
- a) The Agreement, including these Terms, sets forth all (and is intended by all parties to be an integration of all) of the representations, promises, agreements and understandings between you and WEBTOON concerning your participation in the Program, and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications and/or agreements between you and WEBTOON with respect to such subject matter, all of which are merged herein.
- b) You may not assign or transfer any of your rights as a Member of the Program and/or under these Terms. WEBTOON, however, may assign its rights.