1. How much prize money can be won in total?
a. Offer to become an ORIGINAL and Cash Prize: The top 3 submissions will receive a monetary prize as well as an offer to become an ORIGINAL (*winners can only claim the prize money if they accept the offer to become an ORIGINAL).
b. Grand Prize: In addition to the cash prize and the ORIGINALS Offer, the Grand Prize winner will have their submission animated into a short published on YouTube.
Below is a chart showing the Winner Ranks and the corresponding Cash Prize.
4th – Finalist
5th - Finalist
6th - Finalist
7th - Finalist
8th - Finalist
9th - Finalist
10th - Finalist
A total of ten (10) Honorable Mention winners will also be selected from eligible entries receive a CLIP Studio Paint EX license (single device, valid for 12 months) each. Top ten (10) winners will receive a CLIP Studio Paint EX license (dual device, valid for 24 months) each.
2. Can we enter the contest as a team?
Contestants can enter as teams, but if a team is chosen as a winner the prize money will be paid out to whoever acts as the representative of the team. Teams must submit entries using only one account.
3. What is the submission period?
a. Participants may submit their episode between June 1st 2022 6pm PT – July 31st 2022 6pm PT.
b. The winners will be announced on September 30th, 2022 PT.
c. No submissions will be accepted after July 31st 2022 6pm PT.
4. What are the submission requirements?
The submission requirements are as follows:
- All episode content must be submitted in English.
- An episode will consist of JPG files with each file being less than 800px wide and 1280px long and under 2 Megabytes each.
- Submitted episodes must be a minimum of 60 panels.
- Only your first episode submission will be judged. Any further episodes will not be factored into the judging process.
- Episode must contain a fight between at least two characters fighting.
- Episode must be in full color.
- The copyright to the submission must be held by the individual or group submitting it.
- Any comic episode that was previously published or made public may be submitted there are no third-party agreements or engagements that prohibit its publication through WEBTOON or this Contest. Violation of this provision may result in the disqualification of the subject entry, nullification of any prizes awarded for the entry, and removal of the entry from its platform.
5. Can I submit prior to June 1, 2022?
To be eligible, your contest entry must be submitted between June 1st 2022 6pm PT and July 31 2022, 6pm PT.
6. Can I submit a series that was previously published on CANVAS?
You cannot submit a title that has been published on CANVAS prior to June 1, 2022, as a contest submission. 22, to July 31, 2022.
7. Can I submit a series that has been previously published?
Yes, but for this contest we highly encourage new original content that has never been published. If you would like to submit a series that was previously published online:
- It must have been self-published.
- You must fully own the series and have exclusive and direct control over it.
- It must not have been published by a publisher.
- It must not have been printed offline for circulation including self-published stories.
8. I live outside the US. Can I enter the contest?
Yes! You can participate regardless of your country of residence if your country is not listed as an excluded territory in the official rules and has no restrictions against entry. Please see the official rules for details.
9. How old do I need to be in order to enter the contest?
You must be at least 13 years of age (as of June 1, 2022) or older in order to participate. If you are under 18, you must have permission from your parent or legal guardian. Please see the official rules for details.
10. What counts as a panel?
A panel is a frame or a single drawing. A panel can vary in size and complexity depending on its purpose. For example, a panel can be an establishing shot, a close-up, high angle shot, long shot, etc.
Here are some examples of how we would count panels:
Figure a: 2 panels
Figure b: 1 panel
11. Can I submit to the contest if I am or have been an ORIGINAL creator?
If you currently have an ongoing WEBTOON ORIGINAL series, are contracted to work on an upcoming series, or are working with an editor or producer to develop a series you are not eligible to enter the contest. However, if you worked on a concluded series, you are eligible.
12. Can I use Fair Use stock images or other image resources?
We are not able to advise anyone regarding copyright as it regards a third party’s copyright. It is your responsibility to clear all the elements you use in the submitted episode. This means you are responsible for ensuring that you are not infringing on someone else’s copyright.
13. How do I submit my contest entry?
During the Submission Period, go to the Contest Submission page and follow the on-screen instruction to submit your episodes.
14. How will WEBTOON measure Audience Engagement?
Audience engagement is measured by a combination of number of views, likes, and comments. While popularity is a factor, the level of engagement is a weighted measurement and ratio for a normalized review. We also will be taking into consideration content of comments and will not tolerate harassment and abuse.
15. What type of content is allowed in my submitted episode?
Please refer to our Community Policy for guidelines on what content is acceptable. Some things to avoid would be:
- Abusive content or hate speech
- Copyright or trademark infringement
- Nudity or explicit sexual content
- Excessive violence or graphic content
Please read the Community Policy for more detailed information.
16. What are the judgement criteria for the contest?
Submissions will be judged on:
Up to 10 points for Narrative – The story has a strong plot and strong character(s).
Up to 10 points for Readability - The story is easy to read on a mobile device.
Up to 10 points for Clarity - The story is delivered clearly and is easy to follow.
Up to 30 points for Action Execution - The story's featured fight is well choreographed and paced, featuring impactful and dynamic action panels.
17. Does my submission qualify for the Ad Revenue Sharing Program?
Submissions to this Contest will not be eligible for the Ad Revenue Sharing Program during the contest period.
18. What Mature content is allowed?
Your series must comply with the content guidelines in the Community Policy.
For additional questions, please contact us at ActionContest@webtoon.com. Please read the Official Rules before reaching out.